Wednesday 5 October 2011

The Price of Books

Does anyone else find books to be expensive?? Now, I understand that the authors need to get paid, and the editors, and the publishers, and the agents, etc. etc. so books need to cost enough for all of this, but really?? I have a hard time paying full price for a book. I am a sales table surfer, and if I really want something I will borrow it from the library or from a friend.

I went to the bookstore for the first time in quite awhile today, and bought two books. One was on sale from 24.99 to 6.99 (Stephen King's Under the Dome). That is a huge discount (and the store wasn't going out of business!). In addition to the price of them to begin with, it really pisses me off that books are cheaper in the US, and that they feel the need to rub it in by putting both prices on the book! I know a lot of things are more expensive in Canada, but I would have thought since our dollar is so much stronger this would change. I know the gap has shrank, but it's still pretty stupid.

Well, that's my rant for the day. I'm going to go read now!

2 comments:

  1. I really only buy books on discount, too! Work/Study doesn't pay a lot, haha. It is crazy how expensive new books can be, even here in the US. I always feel bad when I see how much more it is in Canada when I glance at the barcodes. :(

    Before my Gran passed away, we used to make up "care packages" of paperbacks to send her since books are so much more expensive in New Zealand than here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice thing to do! I was seriously contemplating taking a road trip to the States to go to a Borders closing sale! But then, I realized I might as well just pay full price if I'm going to spend that much!

    ReplyDelete