Friday 28 October 2011

Midnight Sun - Stephenie Meyer

I'm not going to do a book review in my normal format for this book, because I don't think it really fits. If you haven't heard of Midnight Sun (which I hadn't until about a month ago) it is a retelling of the Twilight book from Edward's perspective. However, it is not a complete book. Apparently, this is something Meyer had been working on, and this is the rough draft of it that got leaked on to the internet. Disheartened by that, she elected to not complete the book, however to post it on her website for people to read for free if they so desired.

If you read my Top Ten this week, I said that I had been in the mood for a reread of the Twilight books, especially with Breaking Dawn just around the corner, and dreary Forks being comparable to the dreary St. John's, Newfoundland weather I am living in right now. I'm not a huge re-reader, as I think its sort of a waste when you could be reading a new book for the first time, so I thought I would download Midnight Sun to my Kobo.

I liked this book. I actually enjoyed Edward's point of view more than Bella's because there was more information about the other character's, because Edward heard their thought's. The one place this book was seriously lacking was this would have been an excellent way to insert a lot of information about the other Cullen's into the story. Since the book is an unfinished draft, perhaps Meyer did have intentions to do this, as it would have been nice. A lot of the reviews on Goodreads have people expressing how creepy they think Edward is, because of his behaviour towards Bella. If Edward was a normal, human 17 year old boy, definitely it would have been creepy, but I think it's important to remember that Edward is used to slinking around, always trying to fly under the radar, and go unnoticed, so after about 100 years of living like this, it would begin to feel normal to you. If anyone is creepy, it's Bella because she doesn't seem to mind! But maybe that is the lure of the vampire, who knows.

I would have really liked to have this story be finished, I'd love to read how Edward feels and thinks about Jacob when his and Bella's friendship begins to grow stronger. Overall, it was a decent read, kind of a re-read without being one. Has lots of room for improvements, but if it went through some good editing, beefed up some of the Cullen information, she has the making of a really good book here. It's too bad it got leaked.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize this isn't going to be released as a finished copy! That kind of bums me out; a Twilight-obsessed friend of mine told me how this was in the works, back when I went with her for a midnight screening of the first movie.

    ReplyDelete