Friday 9 September 2011

One Fifth Avenue - Candace Bushnell

The past few days I have spent a lot of time reading. I also finally got my Pottermore welcome email and got access to the site. Mind-blowing. There is SO much detail, its hard to let it all sink in.

So, in my recent book thirst, I have finished up One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell. I have read all of her novels except the 3 about 'Sex and the City'. I haven't bothered because I love the show so much, I don't want one to taint the other in anyway. I am very curious about the 2 newer ones though, so I may pick them up some day. My favorite by her has been 'Trading Up', for no real particular reason. Bushnell is a sassy writer, and puts in just enough sex to keep it interesting.

Back of the Book Summary: Where your zip code is as important as your handbag... Another look at the tough and tender women of New York city from Candace Bushnell, the author of Sex and the City, Trading Up, and Lipstick Jungle. In One Fifth Avenue, Bushnell tells the intertwined stories of five women at one swanky Manhattan address. One Fifth is the building--the chicest, the hottest, the one with the best pedigree, the one with all the most interesting people. And within its gorgeous pre-war walls, fortunes fall and rise in the early days of the new millennium. Here, as in her previous novels, Bushnell turns a gimlet eye on the social and sexual politics of New York's elite, this time through the lens of where they live.

Why I Read This Book: I read this book, because as I said above, I have read most of Bushnell's books, and although not my most favorite books of all time, I like them. So, I was over at a friend's house and she had it on her bookshelf, so I borrowed it.

Review: This has probably been my least favorite of all Bushnell's books. Maybe I'm getting tired of the recipe, but this one seemed a little dry, and perhaps a bit predictable. It had some unexpected parts, but there is only so many times you can read about Manhattan's elite and not feel like you already know what's going to happen. I do like Bushnell's writing style though, I love how she can change the point of view so quickly, turning the words from one persons head to another's in the same paragraph, at times in the same sentence. I like a lot of different perspectives. The characters in this book are pretty boring, they may be writers, and movie stars, and gold diggers, but they aren't at all exciting people really. This is probably more real, but in a story I don't want to hear about boring people (isn't that why we have real friends? haha). I also felt it was unnecessarily long, with the only reason I was able to read it so fast being that I was stranded in an airport for about 6 hours. I did like the book fine though, maybe in the same way as when you can't sleep you will watch your favorite TV show again at 12pm, even though you already watched it when it was on the first time at 9pm. It's a good book, but it definitely isn't something you "can't put down."

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment