Sunday 11 September 2011

James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing

Goodreads Summary: Based upon the characters and worlds of J. K. Rowling, this book tells the story of Harry Potter's son James, and his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.


Why I Read This Book: Well, it obviously wasn't the fantastic Goodreads summary that drew me in... So, basically I read this book because I loved the Harry Potter series and was happy to see a little bit more. A little while ago I wrote a post about Fan Fiction and admitted that I had actually never heard of it before, so this was my first time reading it.


Review: I was surprised by how much I actually liked this book. I wasn't expecting to, but wanted to read it because I was so sad the Harry Potter era was ending. Lippert is a very good writer, if someone told me J.K. Rowling wrote this, I would be tempted to believe them. I has definitely made me add the other 2 he has written to my TBR list as well. I'll summarize the book myself, since the one above isn't that good. The story takes place 18 years after the last Harry Potter book (so one year prior to the books epilogue) and it is James Potter's (Harry and Ginny's older son) first year at Hogwarts. Some things have changed since Harry's days, but many old professors are still around. The premise of the story centers around Hogwarts doing hosting some American wizarding professors and students for the year. It also relies heavily on the way James feels being at Hogwarts in the shadow of his father. They feature characters from the Rowling books which give you a nice "at home" feeling, while still providing a very exciting plot which is very much like one that Harry, Ron and Hermione would have encountered.
I hear not all fan fiction is as good as this one... but not having any proof of this, I can't say much about it. All I really can say was that although it wasn't as good as the originals, I really enjoyed this book and I think every Harry Potter lover will as well (unless you are one of those people who will look for anything at all to be wrong with it because Rowling didn't write it).


Rating:

2 comments:

  1. good to find your blog, joined

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I wrote the book and hunger for insightful, thoughtful critique (as do all writers). Your comments are very heartening, and I am very pleased you gave the JP series a chance. If you read the others in the series, do let me know.

    ReplyDelete