Monday 27 August 2012

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson


13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)

Goodreads Summary: When Ginny receives thirteen little blue envelopes and instructions to buy a plane ticket to London, she knows something exciting is going to happen. What Ginny doesn't know is that she will have the adventure of her life and it will change her in more ways than one. Life and love are waiting for her across the Atlantic, and the thirteen little blue envelopes are the key to finding them in this funny, romantic, heartbreaking novel.

Why I Read This Book: I actually have no idea why I initially added this book to my TBR list. I think I was browsing the Goodreads recommendations and just added it one day. Anyway, it came up next on my list and I got it from the library.

Review: I really liked this book, I liked the main character and the adventure she had. It was a quick, cute read. Recently I have been feeling wanderlust and vagabonding coursing through me intensely, and since I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, reading about adventures will have to do until I actually get to go on one. I thought that the journey which Ginny had to take sounded fun, and that it was definitely something that I would have loved to do myself. A trip like that can really make a difference in your life. Reading this book certainly energized that part of me dying to get away.

There was only 2 things about it that I didn't like, 1) what 17 year old has parents who allow her to go on this journey, alone, without a cellphone/computer/any money of their own??? This book suffered from unrealistic missing parents. Johnson trys to pepper in concerns that Ginny's parents have, but its a stretch. I think the character should have been about 20 instead of 17. 2) It made me crazy that she got to go to all these amazing places and she didn't spend any time really DOING anything in any of them. That got to me, because even if I was on this 'mission', would make the most of every second while traveling.

I still thought this book was great, and really enjoyed reading it. Looking forward to the sequel to see what is in that last envelope!

Rating: 

1 comment: