Sunday 26 February 2012

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins


Goodreads Summary: Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. 

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door

Why I Read This Book: Since I loved Anna so much, it only seemed natural to check this book out as well.


Review: I really liked this book, a lot. It was cute, and completely unputdownable (not a word, so what). Perkins writes in a way that even though you know it`s going to happen, you are dying to know when, and how so badly that you just. can`t. stop. reading! The story is similar to your average YA contemporary love story, but it just feel so genuine, that it is also different in a way. The character Lola is very eccentric in the way that she portrays herself to the world, but she is still just a teenage girl, and she acts like one as well. It seems Perkins has been criticized in some reviews for the "zany" way Lola acts, but I didn't think it took away form the story, it actually added to it. As much as I can't picture someone dressing like that in real life, I think this side of Lola was done for a reason that was very much an integral part of the story. Overall, there was only one small problem I had with the book, and it was that the characters Anna and St. Clair were in this book (not my problem, I was happy to see them!) but the problem was that in this book they didn't really act the way I would have pictured from their characters in Anna and the French Kiss, it seemed they were just written in to this one to call it a sequel of sorts, but they actions fit whatever Lola needed from them, and not necessarily what I could picture from them as developed characters from another book. Minor peeve, but nonetheless, I didn't really like that.
Overall, great book, full of all the necessary warm-fuzzies I read these type of books for!


Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment