Monday 22 August 2011

Shopaholic Series and "Cheap Chick-Lit"


The Shopaholic books by Sophie Kinsella are another series of novels which I have read all of (most of them more than once). They are great stories. I fancied myself a 'shopaholic' until I met Becky Bloomwood, then I realized I wasn't even close! These books are very entertaining. The series consists of 6 books (Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, Shopaholic Ties the Knot, Shopaholic & Sister, Shopaholic & Baby, and finally Mini Shopaholic) the last of which I have yet to read. I'm choosing to write about them now, even without having read the latest installment as they highlight my love for chick-lit books. These are the first quintessential chick-lit books I read. I may have stumbled on some before, but didn't fully recognize them as such, therefore they didn't count.
Oh how I envied all that shopping, and Isla Fisher's gorgeous red hair
The entire series is a good read for a lazy day. Although embedded with some decent financial advice here and there, it's nothing more than a story. One which I have always liked. The movie version left a lot to be desired, which is why I assume we haven't be subjected to several sequels, however I would recommend the books to all my girlfriends (although I can't think of one who hasn't already read them). They are comfort reads which leave you literally laughing out loud at the ridiculous justifications to buy more stuff! That being said, its risky business to give the impression to so many readers that eventually you will figure out how to pay for it all with no real battle wounds, just a hilarious story to tell!

In my days as a university student, I didn't have a whole lot of money to buy books that didn't have titles such as "Organizational Behaviour" or "Intermediate Accounting" so I frequently visited the 'sale' table at Chapters and other book stores. $4.99 books were my BFF, and still now I feel compelled to browse it when I go in. Now I don't buy many books at all, since I have an e-reader. I have moved so many times that although books normally offer me comfort, their physical size and weight are such a burden. That being said, some of my most enjoyable reads have come from these inexpensive book tables. A notable find was Knocked Up by Rebecca Eckler. She describes 'The Fear' with such accuracy I leave my self thinking - I know EXACTLY how you feel!! (Not so much about the knocked up part, but every other aspect of The Fear!)
Oh heyyy, I used to be super fab and fit and drank with my friends
 all the time, but now I'm fat and all that other stuff that comes with being preggo
I like to think of books like this as "Beach Books" as I always imagine that I am on a fabulous vacation with nothing better to do than lay on the beach and read about the amusing lives of the various heroines in my "cheap chick-lit" collection. (Note: do not discount a book because it was on the "cheap" table, beause you have no idea what its going to be like) So, to bring this post back full circle and call it a review. GO BUY THIS BOOK NOW! You will pee yourself with laughter (if not, I assume you have no soul).


Also, since you will devour this book in mere minutes because of it fabulousness, I have included a few other of my cheap chick-lit finds for your amusement.

No comments:

Post a Comment