Sunday 28 August 2011

Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

Summary: When Alice tumbles down a rabbit hole one hot summer’s afternoon in pursuit of a White Rabbit, she finds herself in Wonderland. And here begin the fantastical adventures that will see her experiencing extraordinary changes in size, swimming in a pool of her own tears and attending the very maddest of tea parties.

Alice journeys through this Wonderland, trying to fathom the meaning of her strange experiences. But they turn out to be “curiouser and curiouser,” seemingly without moral or sense.

Why I Read This Book: When I was deciding on which e-reader I would like to have, I went for the Kobo as it came loaded with 100 classic books. Not being one to normally go for the classics when picking out a new book to read, I thought that having them available to me in that way may broaden scope. For that reason I decided to read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Review: For some reason I didn't expect this book to be such an easy read. Most classic books have very different language from what we are used to today, and I have to be very alert when reading to make sure I can follow what's going on. With Alice I didn't have trouble with the language being used, but I still didn't have a clue what was going on most of the time. I found myself using my memory of the Disney movie to be able to relate to what was happening in the book. In addition to that, the book does not contain Tweedledee and Tweedledum as the movie did, which I found strange. Overall I didn't think it was a bad book, but if Disney had not already interpreted it for me, chances are I wouldn't have been able to follow a lot of the story, as it just didn't make any sense at all! This is supposed to be a childrens' book, but I can't see me having passed the first chapter if I had picked up this book when I was a child.


Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment