Saturday 20 October 2012

The Host - Stephenie Meyer


The Host (The Host, #1)

Goodreads Summary: Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for
the man they both love.

Why I Read This Book: I don't remember when or where I first heard of this book, but I thought it sounded interesting, so I got it from the library.

Review: I really liked this book. It was exciting, and captivating, and overall a great book. The story is unlike anything I have ever read so far (not to claim there isn't others like it, I just haven't read them) so it was great to read something different to me and really enjoy it. I loved the relationships in the book, and found myself having a lot of the same feelings as many characters. I was conflicted when they were, stressed when they were, and happy/scared/worried/etc when they were to. It was well written, and I thought it was fantastic. I have read the Twilight books as well by Meyer, and although I enjoyed them, this book is so much better. I know that they are filming a movie about this, and I can't wait to see it. I have heard rumors about there being a sequel to this book too, which I'm not sure about my opinion on. I think this book could easily stand on its own, but it is always nice to know what the author decides to do with the characters. Either way, this book is great, I recommend you go read it!

Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment