Wednesday 11 July 2012

The Last Summer (of Me & You) by Ann Brashares



Goodreads Summary: Set on Long Island's Fire Island, The Last Summer (of You and Me) is an enchanting, heartrending page-turner about sisterhood, friendship, love, loss, and growing up. It is the story of a beach community friendship triangle-Riley and Alice, two sisters in their twenties, and Paul, the young man they've grown up with-and what happens one summer when budding love, sexual curiosity, a sudden serious illness, and a deep secret all collide, launching the friends into an adult world from which their summer haven can no longer protect them. 

As wise, compelling, and endearing as her Traveling Pants series, and as lyrical, thoughtful, and moving as the best literary women's fiction, this novel is sure to win an entire new generation of adult fans.

Why I Read This Book: From the Travelling Pants series, I knew I liked Brashares books, and since this was being compared to Summer Sisters by Judy Blume (one of my all time favorite books), I thought I would read this one.


Review: This was a pretty good book. I am almost always a fan of writers who transition between characters point of views. I can't say any of the events in the book were shocking, as I think they may have been intended to be, but it was still a great story of Alice's growth. I do get a little irritated by books when all the problems that arise in it could have been avoided if the characters were just honest!! But, I guess that is what real life is kind of like, so what can you do about it? Anyway, this was a good summer read, and I enjoyed it a lot. It's nice that it isn't a series, it's just a story and not it's done. I have been reading so many series books lately that it's kind of refreshing not to have the next book to think about.


Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment