Monday 7 November 2011

The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening by L.J. Smith

The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1) 
Goodreads Summary: Elena Gilbert is a pretty, popular teen who was orphaned when her parents were killed in an accident. Despite the tragedy, her life has always been normal and wholesome. Until the beginning of the school year, when two new vampire brothers show up to shake the peaceful universe at Robert E. Lee High.
Why I Read This Book: I have wanted to watch the TV show for awhile now, but I prefer reading the book version to things first, so since these are such quick reads, and I found this for $4.99 at the bookstore, I figured now was the time to start.
Review: I may be reaching my vampire saturation point, but I still really liked this book. I read the version that has the TV show characters on the front, which usually makes me picture those characters, but for this I didn't. I always pictured Elena as Cordelia from Buffy. It did kind of anger me that Elena is described as this beautiful blond girl, and they didn't use one for the actress. I liked the love story of the book, and also liked that because Stefan is a vampire, he drinks Elena's blood. This makes sense to me. This story is very similar to the majority of teen romance book plots, and since it was written quite awhile ago, it isn't littered with pointless sex descriptions to describe not sex. I hate when books try to make teens who are just kissing sound like they are having life's best orgasm. I mean, there was a little bit of this, but not too much. Overall, I liked it, it is pretty similar to a lot of the vampire books I have read before this, but how different can teen vampire love books really be? And since this is one of the older ones, it's bound to have been ripped off a little bit.
Review:

No comments:

Post a Comment