Wednesday 18 April 2012

My OWN Meme

Memes are something about blogging which I always enjoy, and I decided to start my own (sort of, but not really at the same time - I'll explain). It's probably being done by someone somewhere else, so I won't claim that it is my own original idea, but I haven't seen it thus far and want to write about it.

With many books being made into movies, I thought it would be nice to do a movie review about a book I have read. Many people do this anyhow, as I noticed quite a few blogs I follow with Hunger Games recaps.  Some weeks I may even do a small spin on it and talk about just a movie that had originated from a book that I want to see, but have no desire to read the book.

Today, I'm going to do both! Because it's my meme and I'll do whatever I like!! Also, the reason that it's not really a meme but kind of is that I'm not going to be adding a linking tool (at least not right now) until I show myself that I can a) actually commit to doing this weekly, b) learn enough about HTML and stuff to do it right, and c) see if any of my followers actually like it enough to want to participate (as really, that is the essence of a meme...)

So, what do you name a meme?? Hmm, I'm going to go with...

Reading and Watching Wednesday

I thought this pretty much summed up everything I'm trying to do nicely, and included a day to post, and a little alliteration too (always a bonus). I am by nooooo means skilled at pictures on the computer, but I did come up with this little one for now. I am thinking about (slowly) learning a few computer basics (someday) so hopefully it will evolve over time! Another good thing about this meme is that Hollywood is constantly supplying me with new material! So here is my picture :)


Yes, I used Picnik... but it's Audrey, so that makes it better :)

And, without further explanation, here we go with Reading and Watching Wednesday!

Today I'm going to compare: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (American movie version)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Goodreads Summary: Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch—and there’s always a catch—is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson’s novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don’t want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo.

IMDB Synopsis: Journalist Mikael Blomkvist is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing for forty years by Lisbeth Salander, a young computer hacker.

I haven't done a review of this book yet (I'm going to review the trilogy when I finish book 3).

I won't get into the pros and cons of the book, I'll save it for the review, but I will for the movie. I thought the movie did a good job of keeping true to the book, especially in the more hard to swallow situations, right up until the end, which was changed quite a bit. I think this was done in the interest of time, as the movie was already quite long. I liked the casting for every character I think, no one let me down, even the characters that don't matter a lot were well cast, which was great. Biggest let downs of the film were:
  • The ending, I don't like when a movie changes the book so much. I don't think it really matter all that much, however it does seem a little less believable than what happened in the book.
  • There is a huge spoiler in this movie for book 2. If you have not yet read book two, I would hold off on seeing this movie until you have. I'm not sure if it was important enough in the movie to be memorable, but it irked me that it was in there. It just means that they will have to change the second movie quite a bit to make up for that blunder.
  • I had a love-hate issue with the accents used. LOVED they were there, as it made it better, sometimes hard to understand what they said though.
  • The very beginning - what a waste of like 8 minutes during the opening credits.


Some high points:
  • Again, great casting. Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig did a fantastic job. Craig has so much more range as an actor than I would have expected.
  • The soundtrack was rocking, it really helped you get into it, which is always great in book to film adaptations.
  • The setting, god I want to go to Sweden now!


Verdict: I really liked both of these, but the book was better. 



No comments:

Post a Comment