Tuesday 31 January 2012

Delirium - Lauren Oliver



Goodreads Summary: Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn't understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love

Why I Read This Book: This was another popular one around the blog-block, so I had it on my TBR list. I almost picked it up at the bookstore, but then I got something cheaper (I'm cheap, haha). However, in one of those rare moments when BF was actually paying attention to me, he managed to remember the cover, and it was under the Christmas tree for me :)


Review: I really enjoyed this book, but it was a bit slow to get into. Most dystopian novels have the same problem, because the world is now so different, there is a lot of background information you need to catch up on before the story can actually get started. But, once it did, boy was it a good one! I enjoyed reading about Portland, and the rules, and Hana and Lena's friendship reminded me of the way I felt after high school when we all went our separate ways to university, but the piece de resistance - the love story! It was described very, very well. Oliver nailed the descriptions of what it feels like physically to fall in love to a tee. Most authors can write about the thoughts and feelings in your mind, but I was really into the way she approached it. I would recommend this book to not only dystopian and YA readers, but it is a good love story as well.

Rating:


1 comment:

  1. Totally agree - I loved this book, possibly the most of all of the recent YA dystopias. Like you said, the author truly nails what it feels like physically to fall in love. I'd also recommend Stephanie Perkins' "Anna and the French Kiss" and "Lola and the Boy Next Door" for more great, truthful falling-in-love descriptions. Also, cute boys.

    ReplyDelete