Monday 14 January 2013

One Day by David Nicholls



Goodreads Summary: I can't actually access the Goodreads Summary, since apparently there is malware on that page and my computer won't let me... weird, but here is a summary I googled:

In 1988, the day after commencement, two college graduates briefly, romantically collide. The girl has pined for the boy for years; the boy is more aware of the girl than he lets on. She’s an earnest, outspoken lefty, he a handsome, apolitical toff who “liked the word ‘bourgeois’ and all that it implied” and “wanted to live life in such a way that if a photograph were taken at random, it would be a cool photograph.” Their chemistry is as inarguable as their differences, but because of the pride, carelessness and misplaced optimism of youth, they let time and distraction separate them. Yet they never lose track of each other. “One Day” checks in on their intersecting lives once a year, every July 15, from 1988 through 2007

Why I Read This Book: Like so many before it, I read the book in order to watch the  movie. I had never heard of it prior to that. Also, a friend of mine rated it well on Goodreads, which is how I think I actually got around to picking it up.

Review: To be honest, I found this book borderline infuriating. Dexter is such a fucking ass, I hated him so much. And I hated Emma a lot of the time too. But, I hated them in a good way, because I cared about both of them. The book sucked me in, and then, the end happened. And it was shocking, and stupid to the point that I hated this book. I will never read anything by David Nicholls again, because the way the end was written, it was so forced, and it just seemed like he wanted a book that people would cry over. It ruined the story. I did enjoy the book up to that point though (if you read the book, you obviously know what I'm talking about, but I don't want to spoil anything).

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment