Friday 8 November 2013

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor


Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)

Goodreads Summary: Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Why I Read This Book: I added this to my list forever ago because I liked the way it sounded, and the cover was so pretty. I added it to one of my challenge lists for April, and then one day at the library, it was on the shelf and I checked it out! I love when that happens!

Review: I always assumed I would like this book fine. The plot was different to something I would normally have read, but upon expanding my horizons, I knew that I would probably like this based on the summary. So when I started reading it, and didn't have a clue what was going on, I was a bit disappointed. It took me a long time to get through the first half of this one. BUT, then the light bulb clicks, and you finally understand this odd world, and the book gets FABULOUS. I didn't relate to the main character much, but I loved her. Karou is so interesting, and incredibly artsy (probably the main reason I didn't see any of myself in her, as I am not very artsy). I loved this book, and I think everyone should give it a go. I'm really excited for the second. Give it a chance though, if you don't love it at first. This is the first book in a series, and sometimes they can be a bit slow getting started. This one is sooo worth it though. You will be a bit afraid, sad, delighted, and there is a swoon worthy boy. It's fantastic.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment